Search

Friday, December 4, 2009

The New "Traditional Family"


Have you heard about the new American traditional family that includes 1 girlfriend, 1 boyfriend, and maybe a child or two? Yes! This is the latest thing! Why get married and pledge your love and devotion to one man or one woman in a matrimonial ceremony, when your biggest life decision could be living in an apartment with your girl/boyfriend!!! Don't be the last to catch on to this trend; even though the expectancy may be short...It's worth following the trend and doing what you wanna do!!


As satirical as this opening paragraph is, it is sadly true. I am so sick and tired of people leading selfish lives and bringing children into their mess! The reason I can speak on this topic so well, is not because I currently live with my boyfriend, but because I could have. The decisions that we make in life could alter our futures, the ones we love and maybe those we don't even know. I am a young woman who has been in love just like any other person. I have made foolish decisions, yet chose not to repeat them. My ultimate reasons for listening to my elders, spiritual leaders and parents have given me great ambition.

Perhaps the biggest thing that repulses me is when those who choose to "live together" justify their decisions by countering those who are married. I hear things like, "It's just like we're married, Marriage changes everything, and we are both grown". Are you kidding me? Just because you are making the decision to live with someone does not give you the right to deem those who are married as foolish or “old-fashioned”. I don't care what people say, living with someone is a very irresponsible choice.

I am prepared for the arguments:

[Argument #1] We are trying it out now because when we get married it will be harder to get out [Argument #2] This is a new day and age and more people are living together than getting married anyway [Argument #3] My mom and dad never got married and they are still together [Argument #4] We are adults and what we choose to do is our business [Argument #5] We are saving our money by living together since we are with each other every single day

REBUTTLES: Argument #1= I’ve heard of trying out ice cream, test driving cars and even trying on clothes, but not marriage. You either obey what God has set forth or remain in a romantic relationship in separate residences. Do you get a chance to try out you parents and give them back when you are a teenager? Do you get to try your children out? Well, marriage is weighed just as important.

Argument #2= This is a new day and age, but the fact still remains that people are still getting married. So what if everybody else is doing it? Are you a leader or a follower?

Argument#3= my mom & dad have been married for 30 years now and they NEVER lived together before getting married. If you have parents who are living together and have never been married, they are passing this morality to you and it’s sad that you think that it is right.

Argument #4= Well, what you choose to do has nothing to do with you being an adult. In fact, adults make up largely the entire population, and the population makes some of the most terrible decisions. Also, when you bring children into the relationship, it becomes their business too.

Argument #5= There are countless ways to save money as a couple without choosing to be roommates. Couples have created interesting ways of saving money like a joint savings account, cooked instead of eating out, formed side jobs like owning a sno-cone stand or sold brownies. Living together is not the single answer to saving money as a couple.

So go ahead and take your best shot! I believe that I have covered the major issues why couples justify living together, but I am sure there are a thousand more pitiful excuses!!

No comments:

Post a Comment