I am getting very sick and tired of people in the media, fashion world and everyday people trying to answer this question with a definite prototype. I remember when I first recognized physical beauty, I saw an old picture of Marilyn Monroe at my grandmother's house and simply said at five years old, "She's pretty". To my surprise I received a remark from a family member who said, "She's white, go look at the Ebony Magazine". Sadly, at five I realized that physical beauty was segregated into race. On the contrary, when I began to model at the age of 13, I noticed that the ethnic girls with the most European features, were selected to do more jobs than the girls who looked "too black". "too Asian" or "too Hispanic". What color is physical beauty? Almost every ethnic group has it's almost sorority like criteria of what physical beauty is. What is your idea of physical beauty? Because my idea of physical beauty can range from a freckled-face, red-head Irish girl to an Ebony colored 5'2'' young man with green eyes. I capture physical beauty at different ages, regional locations and ethnic backgrounds. Even if my own physical traits do not emulate what I may consider beautiful, I can still admit "They are striking". As a woman of color, I do not declare all black girls physically beautiful? I recognize that there is no color to physical beauty. This does not make me self-hate or wear the label of inter-racism. I accept the physical beauty of the entire human race.
Thursday, November 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment